Sign In

    Should You Involve the Police?

    Last updated 5 days ago

    The enforcement of a custody or parenting time order can be a tricky issue. Sometimes, a person will ask for police assistance to enforce an order. Because this is a civil and not a criminal issue, the police are often reluctant to get involved. If your order is very clear on who should have the child at what time, it is possible that the police will assist you. However, if your order is not clear or you don’t have an order on custody or parenting time, it is likely that the police will tell you to address your concerns with a court. The following are pointers on how best to deal with the police if you do call for assistance:

    • Always call the non-emergency line when requesting assistance. If you are having a true emergency and a person is in danger of being harmed or is being harmed, it is appropriate to call 911, otherwise, it is not.
    • Be polite with the dispatcher and clear about what assistance you are requesting.
    • You must have an address or location of the child to give to the police. If you don’t know where the child is, the police will not be able to assist you.
    • When you call for assistance, it is recommended that you be within five minutes of the location that you are going to. Most often, the officer will travel to your location and speak with you first before each of you travel separately to the location that the child is located.
    • Always have a copy of the order regarding custody and parenting time that you are requesting assistance enforcing. Make sure that it is a clear and clean copy. It may also help to have the order certified by the court that issued it.
    • If the police officer declines to assist you, be polite and courteous. Just because the police cannot help you does not mean you cannot ask the court to enforce your order.
    • If you have an order and the police decline to assist you, you can address the enforcement of the order with the court that issued it.

    The attorneys at Ruppert & Schaefer can help you request the court’s assistance.  Their lawyers can also help you if you don’t have an order in place yet. Check us out online or call us at (317) 660-8243 for more information or to schedule a consultation. 

    See How One Couple Handled the Issue of Pet Custody

    Last updated 14 days ago

    Pets are much more than just animals—they are part of the family! Many people view their pets as their children, especially people who may not have children or whose children have grown up. This type of love enhances life, but it can also make the divorce process more difficult.

    As you will see in this video, one judge treated a pet as a child during a divorce hearing. In Indiana, pets are still considered property during a divorce and awarded to one party or the other. It is possible that parties, by agreement, could reach some time sharing arrangement with a pet. However, if the decision is left to a court, the pet will likely be awarded only to one party.

    Find more facts about custody and other family law concerns by contacting Ruppert & Schaefer, P.C. today! Check us out online or call us at (317) 660-8243 for more information.

    Tips for Supporting a Friend Who Is Getting Divorced

    Last updated 19 days ago

    Do you have a friend going through a divorce? Your friend is probably busy dealing with family lawyers and paperwork, but she could probably use a helping hand in other areas of her life! Follow these tips to support and help your friend during this transition period:

    Provide Support
    One of the best things you can do for your friend during any time of struggle is simply being there for her. This is especially true during a divorce when it is easy to feel alone and unsupported. Make sure your friend knows that you are there for her and will be around if she needs any help or simply needs someone she can sit down with to have a conversation. 

    Listen to Your Friend
    Your friend will likely want to talk about her situation as the divorce process proceeds. Going through a divorce means losing your partner, making it difficult to feel like you can talk about your emotions and thoughts. Being there to listen to your friend will show her that she does have the support she needs and she can be open and honest about what she is feeling during this time.

    Avoid the Advice
    It is normal to want to help your friend when she is sad or upset. But the desire to help can often lead to giving some unwarranted advice. Even if you have known your friend and her soon-to-be former spouse for a while, you do not know all of the ins and outs of their relationship. Avoid giving advice and stick to providing support.  Attempting to give legal advice could only make matters more confusing for your friend.  Leave the legal advice to the attorneys. 

    Make Plans
    If your friend is feeling lonely now that her spouse has moved out or she has to share custody of children instead of having them at home all the time, you can help by making plans. Suggest fun activities, going out to dinner, and other things you two can do together to keep busy and stay positive.

    Ruppert & Schaefer, P.C. specializes in family law include divorce and child custody. Give us a call at (317) 660-8243 if you are looking for advice about divorce for you and your spouse or are seeking more information about the process for a loved one.

    What Are the Basics of Property Division?

    Last updated 28 days ago

    Marriage is a partnership. Throughout this relationship, both partners work together to create a lifestyle they both can enjoy. If this partnership comes to an end, it is important for the couple to work together to figure out how to split any property accrued during the marriage.

    Property division laws are designed to ensure that both partners receive the property they are entitled to when going through a divorce. During a typical divorce, each party receives half of all  property owned individually or jointly by the parties. This can be disputed and settled when parties work with divorce lawyers. If couples had a prenuptial agreement before exchanging vows, they will follow the guidelines in that agreement to determine property division.

    If you have more questions about property division or want to look into other divorce considerations, the team at Ruppert & Schaefer, P.C. can help you. Contact us at (317) 660-8243 to learn more about working with a divorce attorney.

    Child Custody Terms: Joint Legal and Physical Custody

    Last updated 1 month ago

    Your divorce lawyer can help you understand the various ways in which child custody will be established. There are two prongs to a custody determination: legal custody and physical custody.  The first prong is legal custody.  Sole legal custody means that  one parent has the responsibility of making decisions for the child. Joint legal custody means that  decisions regarding health, education and religion are made together by the parents.

    The second prong is physical custody.  Physical custody establishes where the child will live, either with one parent primarily, or with both parents in some form of shared physical custody. With joint physical custody, both parents have access to the child on a somewhat equal basis. For example, the child might live with one parent for one week and with the other on alternating weeks. Generally, this type of child custody arrangement is best for parents who live close to each other and can handle frequent interactions with each other without animosity.

    The family lawyers of Ruppert & Schaefer, PC can walk you through the fundamentals of child custody agreements. For assistance with child custody negotiation, call (317) 660-8243.

Do you like Ruppert & Schaefer, P.C.?

  • Hours:

  • 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Monday
  • 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Tuesday
  • 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Wednesday
  • 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Thursday
  • 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Friday


  • Recent Posts
    • Loading posts... Spinner
  • View All
  • Recent Comments
    • Loading comments... Spinner
  • Popular Tags
    • Loading tags... Spinner